Friday, February 23, 2007

The Free Methodist Church in Canada...our stories: Introducing people to the God of compassion

Some Christians understand their God's commandments:

The Free Methodist Church in Canada...our stories: Introducing people to the God of compassion

I found this particularly evocative:

I met a teenage transsexual living with AIDS who was ostracized by his family, because of sexuality. When I inquired about his support system, who was there for him….he shuffled and stared disconcertedly. His confusion grew when I pressed him further about spiritual care, wondering if he had struggled with the tough questions or thought of seeking out some of his religious leaders for direction. He laughed sarcastically. “I could never talk with them…look at me. I’m a reject (outcast) for them. Trash!” “That’s what they call people like me. I already feel bad enough – why would I go to them to feel worse?” Overwhelmed by his obvious pain, I blurted out: “Trash? No. God does not create trash.” I then began to share with him what I believed about God. “God does not breathe life into trash, but rather into human beings made in His own image, which you are. Life has purpose and meaning. You were created to be loved and to reciprocate that love.” Tears filled the young man’s eyes as he listened to my words about a God who loved him and understood his pain and confusion. His sad expression changed as he suddenly realized what this meant…he was not alone…nor would he die alone and unloved, even though those who had loved him, had walked away.


No idea if he got the gender pronouns right, but it's his compassion that counts, I think.

A very different experience than I had from my church, which is also a Methodist church. I came out to a couple of the pastors there. When I told the head pastor, he said to me three times that I would have to go elsewhere to transition. It turned out to be true, I was not welcomed back to that church after I transitioned. No one reached out, no one was there for me. All the friends I thought I had supporting me vanished. So much for Christian love, I thought.

I have since become an atheist, not because of that experience, but because of personal growth and understanding. That path led me through different Christian churches, then through Buddhism, and finally, after reading enough science, I just gave up on the supernatural altogether.

But it's good to know that there are people who live by their convictions and still do reach out a helping hand and don't condemn blindly because their leaders tell them to, or their fear blinds them to the fact that we are real, live human beings, just like them. Respect us. Treat us with the dignity you would anyone else. Even love us as your neighbors. We really are not a threat to you and yours.

No comments: